On Monday 21 January, The King, The Crown Princess and Princess Estelle visited the Bernadotte Library. The library, which is in the Royal Palace of Stockholm, includes more than one hundred thousand books that have belonged to the kings and queens of the Bernadotte dynasty. The library room was completed in 1796, and was originally intended to be Sweden's national library.
When Nicodemus Tessin the Younger was commissioned to design a new palace following the fire of 1697, his design included a library. However, it was not Tessin's plan that was eventually used – a later architect's design was used instead: that of Carl Johan Cronstedt.
Building the library was a long process. In the early 1700s the plan was to paint the library in white and gold, but by the time it was completed at the end of the 18th century tastes and style had changed, and unpainted oak was chosen instead.
The collections grew quickly due to the legal requirement to hold copies of published books, and the character of the library changed from a private royal library into a Swedish national library. As a result, the premises at the palace soon became too small. The library therefore moved to new premises on Humlegården in 1877, but retained the name The Royal Library.
At the beginning of the 20th century, the private royal book collections were returned to the palace's library wing. The shelving was reorganised in the 1950s, giving a clearer picture of what had been included in the various royal book collections.
Today, the collections consist of books that belonged to monarchs from King Karl XIV Johan and Queen Desideria, up until King Gustaf VI Adolf and Queen Louise.
Download high-resolution images from the press room.